Rhinoplasty NJ or nose job NJ. Dr. Kassir is the best rhinoplasty surgeon in NJ. Find rhinoplasty NJ answers and see results from one of the best New Jersey rhinoplasty surgeons.
by Ramtin Kassir, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Do you have any problems breathing through your nose or do you have chronic nose or sinus complaints? Has a prior injury made your nose out of proportion to your other facial features?
Rhinoplasty or nose job surgery, is the surgical procedure that involves changing the shape and size of the nose. Dr. Ramtin Kassir MD performs this procedure for his New Jersey patients that involves reshaping the nasal bones and cartilages to produce a balanced and harmonious nose that blends with the person's facial features.
What is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty, or cosmetic nasal surgery, improves the shape and size of the nose. The procedure can remove a hump, change the shape of the nasal tip, and straighten the nose. The size and shape of the nostrils can be changed. The goal of rhinoplasty is often to achieve better harmony between the nose and the other facial features. Dr. Kassir is a triple board certified surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries for his patients and is considered to be one of the best Rhinoplasty surgeons in New Jersey and NYC.
Rhinoplasty has become one of the most popular facial plastic surgical procedures in recent years as more and more people seek to change the appearance of their noses. Many are unhappy with the nose they were born with while others have had the shape of the nose distorted from an injury. Disorders of nasal breathing and sinusitis often complicate the situation. A range of techniques are used to fully address the desired change in appearance as well as to improve nasal breathing and correct chronic sinus infections. Sinus surgery, if indicated, is done with endoscopes to avoid any visible incisions.
Rhinoplasty may be performed under general or sedation anesthesia on an outpatient basis. Most health insurance plans still provide some coverage for functional nasal surgery and sinus surgery.
Good Candidates For Rhinoplasty
Are you thinking about having a rhinoplasty surgery? Healthy teenagers and adults who wish to have an improvement in their nasal appearance are good candidates for the rhinoplasty procedure. The decision about having the rhinoplasty operation is a very important and personal one. You should first consult with Dr. Kassir at his surgical clinic in the Wayne, NJ, 799 Park Avenue, NYC, or Ridgewood NJ office before deciding on the operation. For most patients that undergo this nose job procedure, the results are life changing. Patients describe an increase in confidence and boost in self-esteem. The ideal NJ and NYC candidates for rhinoplasty are:
Does Insurance Cover Rhinoplasty?
Insurance may cover some of the functional aspects of rhinoplasty. In other words, those procedures that improve breathing:
Different Kinds of Rhinoplasty Procedures:
Dr. Kassir performs many different kinds of rhinoplasty procedures in NJ, including:
Rhinoplasty costs vary by surgeon experience and geography. It can range from $9500 to $15000, depending on what is being done. Revision rhinoplasties are on the higher end. Some insurances cover the functional parts of the surgeries (straightening a crooked septum, opening up sinus pathways, etc).
1. Can you breathe through your nose? Do you have sinus problems? If so, then these should be addressed at the same time as the rhinoplasty. You want a great looking nose that functions well, otherwise it is a waste.
2. How many rhinoplasties does your doctor perform, and how many revision surgeries?
3. It is your face, don’t compromise on quality!
“At 2 weeks 80% of your swelling will be gone, at 2 months 90%.”
Social life Recovery
1. You will wear an external nose splint and tape for 1 week to protect and set the nose during this initial stage of healing. Removing it too early may cause damage and can ruin the surgical work.
2. Your nose will be “noticeably” swollen for 1-2 weeks. By the end of the 2nd week a casual observer won’t be able to notice without careful inspection or knowledge that you had surgery.
3. Bruising resolves in 1-2 weeks, and varies by the patients tendency to bruise. Over the counter Arnica may help reduce bruising.
Swelling in some areas may take several months to a year to “completely” resolve (the majority will be gone 2 months). You will be following up with Dr. Kassir until you have your final nose.
Swelling after rhinoplasty varies depending on the what and how much work was done on the inside of the nose. Our general advice to patients is to expect that 80% of the swelling subsides after 2 weeks, and 90% after 2 months. Healing will be complete by about a year after the procedure. We have patients avoid any type of medications that may thin their blood (aspirin products, garlic, vitamin E, etc), and have them supplement with Vitamin C, arnica and other homeopathics prior to the surgery. It is very important to avoid alcohol before and after the procedure. If necessary we can give steroids to reduce excessive swelling post operatively.
1. Pain: There is very little pain; most patients don’t take their pain medicines
2. Swelling: The worst of the bruising and swelling is seen in the first 48 hours. If warranted we give steroids to expedite this process.
3. Packing: More often than not we don’t pack the nose and patients like this.
4. Bruising: The use of endoscopes and tissue glues minimizes bruising. For prevention we have all patients take vitamin C, arnica, pineapple, and bromelane prior to surgery. NO alcohol – this creates swelling in the nose up to several months after surgery!
5. Splint: We take the splint of after 1 week.
6. Activity: You should not exercise for 2 weeks, and not participate in any contact sports for 6 weeks.
You should inquire about the following when choosing a surgeon:
1. Credentials: Is he a Board Certified Facial & Plastic surgeon? Is he aslo an ENT? How long has he been in practice? First and foremost you need someone who is well trained.
2. Gallery of Work: When you see their before and after gallery does it impress you? There are no guarantees, but the past is a great predictor of the future. You should consider whether the surgeon has experience with your ethnic type.
3. Simulated results: Computer technology allows the surgeon to virtually adjust your nose. This will show you the philosophy that shapes the surgeons style. Pay attention to how your surgeon describes what he would like to do.
3. Reputation: What does their previous/current patients say? Read some reviews and testimonials about the surgeon and their work.
4. Talents: Is your surgeon artistically inclined ? You want a surgeon who can not only manage the technical aspect, but that they will give you the best looking nose possible.
It is recommended that patients sleep with head elevated post-op in order to reduce discomfort and swelling. It is also advised that patients avoid sleeping on their side because this may lead to movements that could potentially squeeze the nasal area, but this is generally not a concern because the cast will mostly hold everything in place.
Most often, the optimal correction procedure for a crooked nose particularly after trauma is open rhinoplasty where the nasal fracture is reduced, potentially with cartilage graftings to even out the area surrounding the break.